Site of the Brewery
The site of the old brewery,
formerly the site of Salmon's Mill, is now known as the Salmon Springs Trading Estate,
situated approx 1/2 mile north of
Stroud on the A46.
Google Maps Satellite view of Salmon Springs
Here's how it could be found circa 1909...
On the high road from Stroud to
Painswick, and about half a mile from the former town, on turning a bend
in the road, the eye is struck with an imposing block of buildings, out
of which rises a peculiar shaped massive round tower, the whole standing
out in picturesque relief against a back ground of soft green slopes and
a clear blue sky. This is Godsell and Sons' widely known brewery, with
its congeries of stores, cellars, warehouses, malthouses and offices.
A map of that period showing position of the
Spring, the waters of which were reputedly used
And this is how it appeared:-
Clipped words in the caption are Godsell,
selection & survived.
Mill was recorded 1439 as part of the Manor of Painswick owned by William
Bliss. In 1496 the mill was rented and named as Blysses also known as
Salmonys. In the 16th & 17th centuries it was owned and worked by the
Fletcher family as a Fulling mill to thicken cloth by cleansing, shrinking
and thickening with heat, pressure and moisture. Edmund Fletcher was the
first developer of the site when he rebuilt (in 1593) and extended (in
1607) the timber-framed
mill house, in stone.
the 18th century the site under Clothier John Pinfold contained mills for
both fulling and corn, together with a dyehouse by 1786. A 1798 schedule
of the site lists fulling mills, grist (flour) mills, three stocks and one
gig mill (for raising the nap on a woollen cloth), one pair of French stones, one pair of Welch stones, a mill
house and a dye house.
Drew was working the corn mill in 1820, and a malthouse was recorded on
site in 1822. By 1837 the site contained the Salmons Spring Brewery
and had been acquired by Nathaniel Samuel
Marling who bought many mills in the Stroud area. The Marling family
worked several as Cloth mills, but a few were leased to others; notably
Salmon's Mill and the brewery to Thomas Godsell in 1855. Thomas Godsell (born
around 1818 at Eglantine Place, Wotton
under Edge) is recorded as living at The New Inn,
Stonehouse in 1851 and his occupation was given as Mealman - grain seller,
whereas 10 years earlier he was living in Stonehouse Street, Stroud and recorded
as being a baker. By 1861 Thomas Godsell and family had taken-up residence
in the Mill House and gave his occupation Miller and Brewer. The same
occupation was recorded for his eldest son Thomas P Godsell whose name was
given as Robert P in 1851 and just Pool in 1841 when 4 months old.
introduced his sons George, James, Thomas H
and Edward into the business in 1876, Thomas died in 1885.
Twenty years later the sons registered the
Company as Godsell & Sons Ltd. The firm was taken over by the Stroud
Brewery Co. in 1928. The mill was demolished and replaced by a brick
beer-bottling factory in 1934. Malting ceased in 1967 and the
beer-bottling plant closed two years later. Whitbreads Ltd., who had
acquired the Stroud Brewery Co., then used it as a storage depot for some